What to Pack
Starting at the top – let’s start rolling! Because rolling, as opposed to folding your clothes is far better from a space point of view. To help answer your question on what to pack for your trip, the following information will go a long way making the process easier.
- Soft broad-brimmed sun hat
- Swimming costume
- Golf-shirts and / or T-shirts – preferably with a sleeve to protect your shoulders from the sun
- Long-sleeved cotton shirts
- Shorts and / or skirts
- Long trousers /slacks
- Good closed walking shoes (running/tennis shoes are fine)
- Lightweight jersey or fleece
- Light rain gear or jacket
- Warm jersey or fleece plus anorak or parka
- More formal attire for your stay at prestigious hotels
- Good quality sunglasses, UV protected, preferably polarised & a protective case
- If you wear contact lenses, we recommend that you also bring a pair of glasses in case of dust irritation
- A spare pair of glasses & contact lenses would be a good idea
- Travel size personal toiletries (basic amenities are supplied by most establishments)
- Moisturising cream & suntan lotion – SPF 30 or higher recommended
- Insect repellent for body application e.g Tabard, peaceful Sleep, Rid etc
- Basic medical kit (aspirins, plasters, Imodium, antiseptic cream, antihistamine, personal medication etc.)
- Malaria tablets (if applicable)
- Antihistamine tablets for allergy sufferers / anti-nausea tablets for motion sickness sufferers
- Torch (with spare batteries)
- Southern Africa bird guide if you are a keen birder e.g. Newman’s or Sasol
- Camera equipment including spare batteries, chargers, film, flash cards, memory sticks etc.
- Binoculars for those wishing to view wildlife and birds.
- Dive card and log book (if applicable)
- Cellphone & charger
- Laptop & charger
- Reading material, pen / paper etc.
- Inflatable travel pillow
- If you’re travelling with children it’s probably a good idea to bring some toys to keep them entertained on the flight/s.
YOU MUST BRING
- A valid passport is required for your trip; be sure to check the expiry date. It is a good idea to carry a photocopy of the photo page and the entry stamp page of your passport as an additional piece of identification
- Visa if required (keep a separate copy)
- Tickets / booking confirmation – flights, accommodation, transfers etc.
- Travel insurance documents
- Credit cards, foreign currency etc.
- Recommended inoculations / vaccination certificates
- Driver’s license if required (international?)
LIGHT AIRCRAFT LUGGAGE RESTRICTIONS
Light Aircraft companies place restrictions on the size, weight and type of luggage passengers can travel with. Because of the size of the aircraft, and by extension the luggage stowage area, only soft bags (i.e. no rigid sides or wheels) can be accommodated and your entire luggage complement (including carry-on and camera equipment, etc.) should weigh no more than between 12 – 20 kilograms (26.7lbs – 44.1lbs). Please check the exact weight restriction with your Africa Tailormade consultant. And that’s it – you’re now less worried about what to pack for a safari and are ready for a fabulous journey with Africa Tailormade! Come soon – we’re waiting for you…